Friday, July 18, 2008

Web 2.1 - Site of the Week - Dimdim

Site Name: Dimdim
URL: http://www.dimdim.com/

After two weeks off, the site of the week is back with a neat new Web 2.0 site called Dimdim. I'll let the site explain what they do.

"Dimdim is a free web conferencing service where you can share your desktop, show slides, collaborate, chat, talk and broadcast via webcam with absolutely no download required for attendees."

If you ever have used WebEx or some other web meeting tool, you know how expensive they can be. Dimdim offers this capability at no price. Be careful though, you get what you pay for. I started a meeting and invited two people to join me. The chat feature worked very well, however, the sharing of the desktop was bit clunky for the host and did not allow the other meeting participants to take control of the host desktop. The whiteboard was very well done except for the text box seemed to crash on me quite often. We also uploaded a pdf document to share, but it took some time for it to upload and once it was visible, it was difficult for the host to manipulate. I also find my computer freezing up at times.

Overall, I would give this site a B. Nice to have some tools available to utilize, but it needs some refinement to be able to use it to the degree that you can the fee-based services.

No comments:

Post a Comment