Friday, February 27, 2009

Will Serials Disappear??

As the Denver Rocky Mountain News closes its doors after 100+ years, it makes one wonder about all newspapers and magazines in print. Should libraries continue to carry newspapers and magazines in print - they take space, money and time to locate missing issues. I must admit however, I like reading the weekend paper and my all important People magazine.

It is a tough time for everyone and when we see institutions close after such long histories, it makes me sad. Being part of that mid-generation, too young to really be a boomer and too old to be considered a digtial native, I often find myself caught between embracing technology and wishing technology would go away. I want to be sitting on a beach curled up with a book, listening to a live band in the background, no phone, no email.......just restful time. But as my stomach growls I want to order a pizza on my ipod touch, IM my friends, call my husband on my cell, update the blog, wiki and my facebook account, and be energized by the frenzy! Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment